Sunday 1 May 2011

The Sky Red Button Graphic


In the bottom right corner of the TV screen, Sky display a graphic of a red circle on a blue square background. This is to remind me that, if I so choose, I can press the corresponding red button on my remote to bring up their range of interactive services. Great! Perhaps at some point I will require use of the interactive services and I should imagine that I may well need a reminder. Besides, with one extra press of the 'back up' button, I can remove the on-screen reminder, at least until the next advert break, when this preference is reset.


My problem is with the design of the button itself. Is a red circle on a blue square background the best they can offer me? The colours are so horribly primary. I know the graphic must both stand out and represent the red button on the remote, but they've gone way too far. Worst of all is the feeble attempt to apply the third dimension to the graphic. This is 'achieved' by adding 'shading' to the right side of the red circle, intended to represent the three dimensional nature of the real red button on a Sky remote. But the result looks like the button is now off-centre on its blue square background and, furthermore, that the right side of the red circle is bleeding into the blue square background. The quicker Sky sort out this mess of a graphic, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment